[Dixielandjazz] Jazz - The Spiritual Side vs. Technique

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Mon Dec 6 18:32:33 PST 2004

As an amateur player and lifelong jazz aficionado, I believe that the
spiritual can be identified on CD, DVD, record, 8-track, cassette tape,
reel-to-reel tape, or any other medium.  It is a feeling or spirit that
comes through the music, and speaks to the internal spirit or soul.
Technique is good, but the spirit and soul shines through every time, no
matter how many times it is heard.  (Louis Armstrong is the classic
example...)

Please deliver me from sterile, technically-correct performances, and let me
listen to those in which the performer has put a bit of his/her unique self
into it.

Tim Eldred
Roseville, CA