[Dixielandjazz] Whores and Big Bands

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Dec 5 16:50:09 PST 2004

Music lessons support a lot of us as does teaching.  We are at cross
purposes when we tell a student how well they play then expect them to not
go out and try to do it.  I think that all of us fit into the student
category at one time or another.  As for me I have made my living from one
phase or another of the music business all my life.
Teacher/musician/bandleader/director/AF band.  This doesn't exactly make me
a part timer at it although the pure Professional musician may look on me as
a part timer because I don't play six nights a week in a pub.

Everything you said is true but there is no getting away from it.

People will pay for a name even a has been name.  A case in point.  Bob
Kuban - a one hit wonder "The Cheater".  Bob runs an agency but mainly books
the Bob Kuban Brass.  They are actually a pretty good band.  He gets or at
least used to get the ball park gigs.  He books at really top dollar but I
guarantee his musicians are getting scale.   They will also pay big bucks to
"out of town" musicians.  For what reason I haven't a clue.  I play with
several road bands that come through and they book for more than the local
talent normally.

Times are changing.  The first big shock we had was in the 80's when the
DJ's really hit hard.  Before that they were just a nuisance.  I didn't know
how badly we were outgunned until a friend that was booking 10 DJ set ups
wanted me to go out and spin records.  This is how it worked.

He was booking 10 setups on Saturday and 3-5 on Friday  nights at $500  each
($750 for lights too) ($7500).  He booked 10-12 gigs per week during the day
and other evenings at $300.  ($3000)  That's $10,000 a week.  His expenses
were $200 per DJ or $125 if he had the equipment set up for them.  He paid
about $1000 a month for yellow page ads and he was able to do mass mailings
through the coupon people who mail out to zip code areas.  His record
expenses were make copies for each DJ.  At that time he had a tape set up
that was really clever.  the tape machines could cue up a tune.  He had
everything on rolodexes with the tape number and the cue number.  DJ takes
request, looks it up. puts it into the machine and cues it up.  plays tune,
rewinds tape and puts it back.  Now the DJ's can do this with much more
sophisticated technology.

My friend sold out and retired a fairly rich man.

This almost came upon us as a surprise and killed the band that I was
playing with at the time.  We were doing well for ourselves but just
couldn't keep up.

We were playing a wedding fair for a Large Dept store here in St. Louis.
The band played for the fashion show and then got to hand out our literature
and talk to brides.  We were doing this for two other shows also.  A really
good trade off until  The DJ's said yes we'll pay you to play for your show.
We couldn't afford the $1200 they wanted to play for their show.  We usually
booked 3-5 gigs on the show.  The other shows followed suit.  This cost us
heavily in the wedding business.  We did however book well for a while by
putting flyers on the windshields of the people at the show although a DJ
came out and wanted to fight us.  He changed his mind when he found out
there were three of us there.

At that time the band as booking about 70-100 jobs a year with about 50-60
of them weddings.  The last year we played together we played 18 gigs.

Don't knock the Band in the box guys.  I now make more money using BIAB than
with all other bands combined,  My playing income would be about 60% less
without it and each year it gets more sophisticated and sounds better.  In
10 years the way technology is going  it will be a formidable music aid.
BIAB can't make you sound better.  You have to play well - BIAB can't help
you.  I work a lot of Duo-trio jobs with it and these jobs simply would not
have been there for me 10 years ago.  Yes it cuts out 3 musicians but they
aren't there to play anyway but the jobs are.  Do I musically like BIAB?
No, but a buck is a buck and I guess that's the true mark of a  Whore or pro
musician.  There is a benefit from this much playing - I get to make money
and I can keep up my chops easier than before.  Now there's another
difference between a Whore and a pro-musician.  They don't have to practice
to keep up.

Larry