[Dixielandjazz] Big Bands & playing on the cheap

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Dec 4 09:47:48 PST 2004

There's a big band (17 pieces, plus vocalist and a sound man) here in
Montgomery, AL that I play with--twice monthly rehearsals and maybe 15
gigs a year. There are several others relatively nearby, not counting
college lab bands, at Auburn, Pensacola, Columbus, Ga., Birmingham, and
a new one in Alexander City. I know $ info on only three of them
(including us), who play for free (civic/charity events), or  $50 a
person (pretty typical), or $100 when we know the hirer can afford it.
For combo gigs areound here, the pay is usually $80-$100.

There's something in the argument that most hirers can't afford a big
band at $2400 in our area, so the lowball of $50 has long been accepted
by our members. What we're doing combines playing for fun with
community service, plus enough money to more than cover expenses. Some
reservations and special circumstances: We never play free, even for
civic events, if another band is being paid. A good trade-off-- the
city provides a practice hall, stands, music, and sound system so we
play for civic events gratis. We just had a spat with our usual New
Years Eve employer when they wanted to cut us down from $100 to $50
(!). When we flat cancelled, and they came through.

Here and in Urbana, Ill., where I lived for many years, jazz groups
(mostly modern) have often played for the gate and tips, amounting to
peanuts, which bugs me but it has become the tradition. Usually you can
play whatever you want in such situations, and the smallish audiences
dig it, but as many of you have pointed out, the profession suffers.
Many players show up at jam sessions for free, again playing what and
when they choose. I think that's a little different, but I'm not sure.

Charlie Suhor