[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Vipers

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Dec 2 10:38:03 PST 2004

You know I don't think it's the band or the place but it's the expectations
of the audience.  When we go to New Orleans we expect to have a good time
and we are somewhere else.  In other words not at home in view of our
neighbors, friends and as a result people have a good time.

Here in St. Louis that rarely happens except on several occasions.  Fat
Tuesday at Soulard and First night but then it's usually too cold.  People
are just so conservative here.  A band in New Orleans even a bad one draws a
crowd and people just walk by here.  I've played for years here with lots of
bands and it just doesn't happen very often.  One time I was playing at a
plaza - South Main Street Band - and people were walking around us as usual.
A couple of kids about 16-17 years came up and started dancing.  We never
knew who they were but they were dressed 1940's retro and danced really well
and were having a really good time.  They danced for about a half hour and
the crowd swelled to about 200 people.  When they left the crowd did too.
No one else danced or did anything but watch.

People simply quit dancing in the 1970's and started the Rock Concert (TV)
style of enjoying music.  People just sit and stare.  With the crackdowns on
drunk driving people just don't loosen up with alcohol and they stay
conservative.

I think it's great when people have a good time and that's what OKOM is all
about.  It sounds like this band is doing the job.  I think we have to
create the atmosphere where people can have a good time and part of that is
dancing.

My wife treated me to an Andre Reau concert last year and it was a great
concert.  Everyone listened, clapped and did all those things that audiences
do here.  At $125 a ticket, (you had to buy two tickets = $250)  he packed
the place.  A sell out crowd.  Last week I saw him performing for a European
audience.  Same group, almost the same music etc.  That audience almost tore
the house down dancing swaying and clapping.  A big difference.  Those
people came to have a good time.  The St. Louis crowd didn't, at least not
in the same way.  To be completely fair there were several ushers that were
having a really good time off in the wings.

It's difficult to change that but we have to keep trying..