[Dixielandjazz] Young OKOM band wins contest

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:55:24 PDT 2004

Hi David and everyone,

The Ford Detroit festival is completely free for the audiences, including
for big headliners.  There are also 100 bands that perform.  While acts that
draw I'm sure get whatever their usual fee is, acts that don't draw (like
the contest winners, college jazz bands, etc.), get paid the set fee ($500)
to play for about an hour.  They also get free parking passes and a free
shuttle service.  For a quintet, they're getting $100 a person to play their
music for an hour (I've played longer for less!) at a major festival with
the potential for a large crowd to hear them.  They can also sell their cds
etc.  For the high school and college groups, I'm sure that their fees go
into their band fund, but what the students get (beside their families and
friends coming down to see them perform at a big festival), is commentary
from 2 judges from the Jazz Educator's Association (local branch of the
IAJE) as well as the opportunity to win scholarships to schools like
Berklee.

This festival, in actuality, loses money (for whatever reason) every year
and there has been serious talk that it will fold after this weekend (its
25th anniversary).

All the best,
Rob McCallum