[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Tunes

barbonestreet at earthlink.net barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 14:20:43 PDT 2004

Brian & List Mates:

No further explanation needed. Your point, at least to my eyes and ears is quite clear, well explained and right on the money. Since the DJML is comprised of "musical" folks who understand OKOM, we all should have no problem understanding what you are saying.

The only disagreement appears to be among the pickers of nits who are more interested in playing with words than playing, and/or listening to, the music. Perhaps "passive aggressors"?

BTW, "musical scribble" is just wonderful as a term for music with no worthwile chordal structure. Love it and hope you won't mind if I borrow it here in the USA.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Brian Harvey" <brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk> wrote (polite snip)

No he's not dense. Just missing the point that I was trying to make. To
continue....

Frequently used tunes in Dixieland, swing and 'Straight Ahead' jazz like -
Honeysuckle rose, Blue turning grey over you, Dardanella, Undecided,
Indiana, Sleepy time down south, Maple leaf rag, Put on your old grey
bonnet, On the sunny side of the street and many old musical (Vaudeville)
songs have clearly discernable melodies and (as far as I can tell)
worthwhile chord sequences.
These are excellent to improvise on and become therefore part of the OKOM
repertoire.
Many hip hop and other modern genre songs have no discernable melodies
comparable to the popular music 'classics' and no worthwhile chord
sequences. They are therefore to my mind musical 'scribble' compared to the
'classical' music of the general catalogue of classic popular songs.
I appreciate that my explanation may lack erudition but hope that more
musically literate listmembers will elaborate.
One that could is Ed Metz whose band The Bob Crosby Bobcats includes on a
brilliant recent CD titles like - Coquette, Nice work if you can get it, In
the shade of the old apple tree, When my dreamboat comes home and Zes
Confrey's wonderful Stumbling.