[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Uninvited Olympic Trumpeters

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 20:25:38 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/27/2004 9:38:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
robert at ringwald.com writes:

> When I lived in the Los Angeles area from 1979 to 1995, Manny & Uan
> (mentioned below) used to come into where my band, the Great Pacific JB, was
> playing on Sunday nights.  I too was personally told this story by both of
> them.
>
> However, while the story below indicate that they did it only once, they
> told me that they continued to do it throughout the 1964 Olympics, wherever
> they were when the National Anthem was played.

Ringwald: there is a OKOM connection to this. I just now asked Uan Rasey
about it. He said they had been bringing their horns to the events a few days
prior to this. After a special effort by a participant, they played Tah-da tah
dah-tah dah, then yelled "Bansai" instead of "Charge". They got the crowds
yelling this also. They actually finished the anthem three times for relays: Womans
4 x 100, Mens 4 x 100, and Mens 4 x 400. Their trumpet OKOM friend. John Best
(then associated with Bob Crosby) was in Tokyo also, but he was not involved
in the anthem. The English newspaper story version was a little confused. Their
story stated that the Bob Crosby Bobcats band finished the anthem. Uan was
pleased to remembered for this event.

Tom Loeb
Riverside, California