[Dixielandjazz] Re: Turk Murphy Discography

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 26 21:30:30 PDT 2004

Fred and DJML--
     I have _Turk Murphy: Just for the Record_ by Jim Goggin, and it
was one of the starting points for my wanting a complete, up-to-date
discography of Turk's recordings. It's a wonderful book, not so much
a discography as an extended and fragmentary interview of Turk about
certain of the songs on his recordings.  It has some great comments,
insights, and a pretty thorough listing of recording sessions, but it
necessarily lacks mention of CD's and doesn't try to provide a list
of the LP's and their tunes in a format conducive to reference or
research.
     The discography i mentioned took eight years to compile, and it
lists quite a number of private tapes, as well as CD's.  It's
basically a printout of someone's database, sorted three different
ways.  The earliest references are from 1936 and a band called Mal
Hallet & His Orchestra, and the latest are private memorial-tapes
from 1987 (without Turk, after he died) and from 1990 (somehow WITH
Turk, so maybe it's a recent-retrospective of some kind).
     This discography seems to have all the recordings, with their
personnel and instruments, recording title, label and number,
recording medium, the recording date, and an internal reference
number.  It appears to be a printout of a computer program, sorted by
reference number, by date, and by tune and title, and it may involve
recordings from more than one collector.
     I heard from the person i got my copy of the printout from, and
this person said that the author distributed a few copies to friends
just on a gift-basis.  Since so far i've had no direct contact with
the author, i don't know if he would be willing to make copies
available to the public, even for a price.  This might be something
that the SFTJF (San Francisco Traditional Jazz Foundation) might well
be interested in publishing or distributing if things could be worked
out (copyright- and other-wise).  It's certainly a welcome and
original contribution to knowledge, and i would want a copy if i were
in charge of music-library acquisitions.
     I myself would like a copy in an Excel spreadsheet (or FileMaker
Pro database) so i could sort in various ways and search for things,
but i don't know if that's available.  I'm not a Turk Murphy
collector as such (nor yet a completist), but because i like his band
i've accumulated about 27 of his recordings and put them and their
400+ songs into a FileMaker Pro database just for my own peculiar
amusement.  Eventually i mean to annotate each song with information
from that recording on the song's key, its tempo, and any liner-notes
or other fripperies pertaining to it (but that's another story).
     Anyway, when i hear back from the author i'll let y'all know
whatever additional information there is.

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "Ignoramus, n. A person unacquainted with certain kinds of      **