[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland tunes

Mark Bauer jazz_trombone at axint.net
Thu Aug 26 09:43:53 PDT 2004

That's true some songs are harder to do this with, especially the modal
type tunes. Many dixieland type tunes utilize the I-vi-ii-V7 progression
while many modal and rock, pop, hip-hop don't have near the harmonic
movement that many traditional jazz tunes do. It can still be done but
it has to be creative. You can always jazz up the chords or add chords
too. If you see a dominant chord, throw in a minor two chord in front of
it. I know a local band that did Miles Davis "So What" which as you know
is a classic modal type tune and they jammed the hell out of it. This
same band also did Weather Report's "Birdland" with  equal success. Then
they tried to do an Usher tune and well...lol...that kinda crashed and
burned.

    Jazz muscians have long been taking pop tunes and jazzing them up. I
like how Sonny Rollins did "Wagon Wheels" and "I'm an Old Cowhand" on
that classic album from 1957 "Way Out West".

MB

--
"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being
said."