[Dixielandjazz] Re: Gone - by Fats Waller

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 21 16:24:21 PDT 2004

Dear Craig,
As you probably know already "Gone" was composed by Thomas Waller-Harry
Link-Andy Razaf. (Lyrics by Razaf, music by Link and Waller (words and
melody only). Obviously a team effort.
It was copyrighted on 23 Nov 1929 and published by Lawrence Music Publishers
Inc. on 24 Jan 1930. Copyright was renewed on 25 Jan 1957.
"Gone" was recorded at that time by Nat Shrilkret Orch (13 Feb 1930), Sam
Lanin Orch with a Tommy Dorsey solo (14 Feb 1930) and the University
Orch/Sam Lanin Orch (7 March 1930). None of these have been reissued, to my
knowledge.
According to list-lurker, Warren Vache the elder, Jim Cullum's band use the
song in their Fats Waller tribute.
Maybe DJMLer Don Mopsick can provide us with their tempo.
Or you can set your own.
Harry Link (1896-1956) may be remembered for his involvement with such
memorable songs as "I'm Just Wild About Animal Crackers" (1926 with Sam
Coslow & Freddie Rich), "I've Got A Feeling I'm Falling" (1929 with Fats
Waller), "I Hate To Leave You Now" (1932 with Dorothy Dick & Fats Waller)",
Nightwind" (1935 with Bob Rothberg & David Pollack), "These Foolish Things"
(1936 with Jack Strachey & Holt Marvell).
Gus Kahn wrote a tune called "Gone" in 1936 and there is a "Gone" played,
sung and recorded by modern jazz groups and singers (which may be the Kahn
one).
Very kind regards,
Bill.