[Dixielandjazz] Black Dixieland Bands?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 07:41:17 PDT 2004

Brian & List Mates:

The issue is a complex one. For example, I was on the bandstand playing
next to Roy Eldridge at a gig 50 years or so ago at a private estate in
Southampton Long Island, NY, USA. A wealthy dowager came up to him and
said: "Oh, Mr. Eldridge, I didn't know you played Dixieland."

He replied: "I've been playing it all my life."

What he meant was that the media, record producers, critics etc.,
classified him as a swing/small jazz band player. And that is how he was
perceived by the public. So he went along with that and always said
publicly that he was a "jazz musician".

However, the reality of the situation was/is that he really did play
what we white folks decided to call Dixieland as well. As did Coleman
Hawkins, Charlie Shavers, Vic Dickenson, the DeParis Brothers and many
other black musos of those wonderful days. Basically swing bands had
ceased to exist and so these great black musicians reverted to Dixieland
in NYC which still had a viable audience then as well as today. They did
so in porder to make a living in jazz.

However, the overwhelming media hype for their music was either New
Orleans Jazz or Small Band Swing. Even though from say 1917 to the early
1930s, bands of both color were classified as Dixieland Bands. For the
most part, that changed dramatically in the '30s and remains divided
even today as far as musical categories are concerned.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone