[Dixielandjazz] Black Dixieland Bands?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 20 20:04:07 PDT 2004

For those who think that black bands call it Dixieland these days. Or
those who disagree with Dick Sudhalter's conclusions that by the late
1930s "Dixieland" was played by white bands and "Small Band Jazz" was
played by Black bands. Or those who don't know many black jazz
musicians, I offer the following:

George Lewis said in his remarks at a live concert in Bakersfield CA USA
circa 1953-5 or so, "You won't get to hear this music too much longer as
we are getting old. He was referring to "New Orleans Jazz", not
Dixieland because there were plenty of young White bands playing
Dixieland then.

I spoke with him 3 or 4 times in my youth and I believe he always
referred to his music as "New Orleans Jazz" in our conversations.

Following quote is from "Jazz By Mail" about a Lewis Band 1949 album. It
refers to the music as "New Orleans Jazz". It is typical of the media
hype of the music.

Jazz Funeral In New Orleans
George Lewis 1949 release JAZZ FUNERAL IN NEW ORLEANS - Kid Howard - tp;
George Lewis - cl; Jim Robinson - tm; Alton Purnell - pn; Lawrence
Marrero - bj; Alcide Pavageau - st bs; Joe Watkins - d

Song List: 1. Ice Cream 2. Down By the Riverside 3. Burgundy Street
Blues 4. Just a Closer Walk With Thee 5. Panama 6. Doctor Jazz 7. When
The Saints Go Marching In 8. Lou-easy-an-i-a .

"Album Details: Folks whose ears were piqued by the old-timey sounds of
the Squirrel Nut Zipper might want to check out a recent release on the
Tradition imprint, entitled Jazz Funeral In New Orleans. Contrary to its
rather grim title, Jazz Funeral is not an actual interment ceremony, nor
is it Dixieland of the rooty-tooty, goofy, pinstripe-suit variety, but
some serious dynamite vintage New Orleans jazz, led by clarinetist and
bandleader George Lewis, one of the all-time greats. It swings, it
struts, and it's a real hoot. The sessions were also recorded in the
late `50s, recently enough that it doesn't have that tinny `20s feeling
of listening to music that's squawking through a paper cone."

Also note this from The Preservation Hall Web Site:

"The Music:"
"Originating in the early part of the century, New Orleans Jazz is not
to be confused with the two-beat Dixieland style. The tempo is a shade
slower than the other jazz forms and the melody is always clearly heard
with improvisation at its heart. Unobscured by complicated arrangements,
its greatness lies in its simplicity. Bands generally consist of five to
seven pieces, with the trumpet usually the musical leader."

Lest we be dismissive of them, they are a "working" jazz band and most
of us are not. They also play venues we can only dream about.

"The Preservation Hall Jazz Band performs nightly at Preservation Hall
and tours around the world over 150 days a year. The band has appeared
at many famous venues, including Carnegie Hall (NYC), Symphony Hall
(Boston), Monterey Jazz Festival (CA) and the Red Sea Jazz Festival
(Israel.)"

I only know one black jazz musician who says he plays Dixieland. That
would be Paul Grant who plays trumpet in Barbone Street. I know a couple
of dozen who say they play New Orleans Jazz and/or Small Band Jazz. It
may sounds suspiciously like Dixieland to me, but neither they, nor the
media, nor the record producers call it by that name.

And, Wynton Marsalis is calling his offerings of the roots of jazz
music, "New Orleans Jazz." as is the media attention he generates

More info about it? Write me off list and I will give you chapter and
verse as to why and how it happened that way.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone