[Dixielandjazz] Re: Getting Gigs - Was Startings A Band

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 20 15:00:30 PDT 2004

>From: Trumpetom at aol.com wrote (polite snip)
>
>If you are inquiring about how to find gigs, I think every member of this
>list (except maybe Steve Barbone) is troubled with that same situation.
>Convalescent hospitals and some senior centers are grateful for free entertainment.

Regarding how to find gigs with "The New Audience For Dixieland", An
article I wrote and recently updated about what works for Barbone Street
will be published in "The American Rag" shortly. Probably in several,
parts as it is about 4600 words.

We are not the only "working" Dixieland Band. Many others are playing
lots of gigs to general audiences also. In that vein, check out The
Barbary Coast Band web site. They are in Minnesota. Click on their
"schedule". GREAT WEB SITE.

http://www.barbary-coast.com.

They play a ton of gigs in Churches, Retirement Homes, Picnic Parks,
Excursion Boats, Theaters, Colleges, High Schools, Jazz Festivals, Art
Centers etc.., etc.., etc. Heck, they even have an upcoming  gig at The
Inn in Okoboji. And they sometimes wear red vests. ;-) VBG.

They have a musical ministry as you can see, with numerous church
performances.

Like George W. Bush says, "It's a vision thing."

We defeat ourselves with our negativity about the supposed lack of mass
appeal for the music. We (bands) just need to play and entertain where
the people are. Simple as that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone