[Dixielandjazz] Rachmaninov prelude

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Aug 20 09:46:18 PDT 2004

C sharp minor!!

Well, not having ever played anything in that key, the key signature did not
really register immediately.  I had to count it out, adding one sharp at a
time till I got there.  I actually had to play something in 9 sharps
once....a singer named Gogi Grant (The Wayward Wind was her bug hit) had a
chart with 16 bars in 9 sharps!  Needless to say, I had to woodshed those 16
bars during a break.
     Back to the key signature for C# Minor.....Anybody know it right off
without having to count sharps one at a time?
      The relative major to C# Minor is A# Major.  I count that out to 10
sharps, meaning half of the notes are double sharped, or did I do something
wrong?
      Every time I ask the question "Why?" some one usually says "Sharps are
brighter".  Well I can almost believe that on a violin, or a trombone, or
even another horn when the player has a good enough lip and the ear to
distinguish the difference between D# and Eb.
      But wasn't the famous Prelude primarily a number that featured the
piano?  I don't know of any way to depress a piano key to make it sound
"just a little sharper" or "just a little flatter".
        It then occurred to me that maybe no one would have remembered a
tune named Prelude in Db Minor.
        Could Rocky Maninoff have had that in mind?
    Pat (get me back to flats!) Cooke