[Dixielandjazz] CDs to radio stations - redux

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 08:51:36 PDT 2004

Thanks Tito for your research into the Brazilian Radio Station request
for CDs. I hope folks will send them.

What really surprises me is why there would be any resistance to sending
band CDs to a radio station. In the good old days, here in the USA,
there was an active business of "song plugging". Aspiring performers
spent months criss crossing the country in cars with records and visited
radio stations, giving away the records and and/or trying to induce the
DJs to play them.

Even some big "payola" scandals emerged as musicians paid DJs to plug
records and bands and singers. It was that IMPORTANT to get your
name/music out there. We all seen movies about the singers/bands and how
they struggled to get heard.

It still goes on today via radio and MTV, except it seems, with a bunch
of OKOM bands who could care less whether their music ever gets
played/heard/popular. Yet those same bands bitch and moan that the
"public" doesn't like our music. WHAT ????

I guess I'm missing something cause I always thought that if the
"public" was to make a decision on music, they would have to HEAR IT FIRST.

And I guess I'm stupid for having spent about $200 last year giving away
CDs to radio stations. The return on that "investment" was about $6000
in leader fees for gigs gotten because of those airings. Any of you
stock market investors do as well in 2003?

I am going to stop those stupid "give aways" immediately and play for
$50 a gig at old folks venues where we will be more appreciated. After
all, I am an "artist". :-) VBG.

Wiggins, can you get me some "artistic" bookings in Geezerville, CA?
I'll give you 10% of my $50 for your services. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone