[Dixielandjazz] RE: MAYBE THE MESSAGE IS THE MEDIUM FOR OKOM

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 04:24:26 PDT 2004

Hey, Steve Barbone, you do have a  way with words (and probably music too). I
learned a lot in this exchange,  and I hope others got something of value
from it. As far as John Farrell  goes, why should we leave his music off the
question list? Defining stride is  just as elusive to me as trying to define
Dixieland, ragtime, or just  plain jazz when we get down to the nitty gritty of
structure. Having said that,  I know that someone will step up and disagree with
me (again) but that's  okay. The DJML can always form a committee to
officially define any of  these terms and decide should be appointed to the official
Dixieland  Police.(Do you carry a gun or a washboard?).

Trying to be serious for just a moment,  there might be a useful approach to
defining something we can live with.  Let me try this one out: I propose that
what we think of Dixieland, (or for  that matter rap, or cool jazz, or even
stride piano), as "styles of playing" or  MEDIA (the plural of medium). I like
that word because I can then quote  Marshall McLuhan's famous phrase, the
medium is the  message, when talking about our favorite music. Isn't that  what
most so-called "types" of music really are? We all know that you can play  damned
near any song in a Dixieland style. Well, you can also say that you can  play
almost any song (maybe even any song) in the classical style, ragtime  style,
danceband style, and many other styles as well. I read a story  once of a
well known ragtime performer playing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C#  Minor in
ragtime, in the presence of the great composer himself, who later  came up and
commented; "Nice melody but you got the rhythm all  wrong."

Thanks to all the comments and support, I  see the style of the medium as the
most defining part now. Thanks,  guys.

Dan (piano fingers)  Spink