[Dixielandjazz] Re:WHERE DO WE DRAW THE OKOM LINE?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Aug 18 19:49:34 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/18/04 6:43:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
robert at ringwald.com writes:

> Those bands are not playing anything resembling OKOM, Jazz, Swing, or even
> modern Jazz.  It is noise, loud, distorted, non-musical, NOISE.
>
> Maybe you can take one of their songs, use Dixieland instrumentation &make
> something out of it, but I doubt that it will be worth much.

Perhaps so Sir Robert"

But what is the harm in trying and if you do it and it comes off pretty well
and you get to play on one of the major rock festivals or tours with the likes
of them you just might start the next revival of Dixieland to a group that
never heard of it more than likely.

A funny thing happens to music when you get to be thirty years old, it gets
softer and tends to take a different direction even for Dire Straits fans and
Guns and Roses fans who have children and suddenly unembrace the alleged evils
of rock and roll music and it's influence on their children with a new
attitude of don't do as I do but do as I say.

Unless of course they have already done full body tattoos on their kids.

Too many Dixieland musicians are just without optimisim and are content to
just sit back and wait to die without a fight.   Who ever said we should be
resigned to our Fate was a lazy slacker with no desire to better him/herself.

At least we are getting the Lurkers out,  not a bad run for this thread.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins