[Dixielandjazz] OKOM modern attempts

David Story daveplaysthepiano at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:48:08 PDT 2004

I'm listening to Royal Garden Blues by Branford Marsalis, terrific. Nice take, has the charm of the original with, by my ear, a decidedly modern feel. After the head with the piano,bass,drums, he cuts to a trio without piano, for a nice dialogue with the drums, bass walking like a fiend in the background. In comes the piano right hand only, no chords! Nice pointalestic touch. Then some bass walking, a few noodles from Bradford, works up to a drum solo of sorts. Impressionistic chords from the piano, noodles on the sax, head harmonized with the piano, and out.

Defiantly has a modern free feel to it. One of the things young avants in our area are up to is mixing forms and structures of classic jazz with vaudeville drumming,  add free form blowing into a charming ironic stew. OKOM may come back in its old form, but my guess is that it will show up in a new form.

It all started with Don Byron a few years ago with the album: Bug Music, which also featured Royal Garden BLues and the music of Duke Ellington's Cotton Club Orchestra, John Kirby and his "orchestra", and the Raymond Scott Quintet.

Dave