[Dixielandjazz] Re: Conductors (was The Music Business Changes Constantly)

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 18:24:46 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/14/04 6:05:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nancyink at ulink.net writes:

> Okay, enough already with the conductor jokes, my friends.
> Talk about multitasking! If you've never seen the conductor's score book,
> you'll notice that the facing pages are filled with all the instruments'
> parts--and in relatively tiny print!--while the musicians only need to know
> and follow along with their own part.

Now Surely you don't think he is reading those parts?   He is the epitomy of
the most successful jazz musician. He has risen so far up the musical ladder
that he can now be the chief improvisator and addlib any part he chooses since
he can't possibly see those notes in the dark anyway, not to mention all that
swishing and swaying and keeping his arms and long hair out of his sight line.
 :)))

My favorite conductor of all time has to be Denny Lecomb, of the Cirque Du
Soleil's first touring show.  I still ROTFLOL when I think of him and his act.

But going back to the mention of orchestras saving money by riding a bus
instead of flying, I immediately envisioned a bunch of classical musicians
suddenly turning to jazz and blues (at least the poets and "true artists"
among them.) (Tongue pressed firmly in cheek.)

You mean going back to their Roots?  touring on a bus with a bunch of
musicians of any kind is an interesting experience,  I did a ten day tour with the
Bolshoi Ballet and orchestra in Sicily back in 1990,  They acted just like
Jazzers and Blusers on the bus and were totally different folks than those that
went out on the stage every night to perfom.

Cheers,

Tom