[Dixielandjazz] Band Bookings

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 16:42:02 PDT 2004

I have all of his directories and all of his festival data base and a whole
lot more , it took me three years to correct all the misinformation and update
his directories.  You can actually get all the information online by searching
the festivals Internationally.

Jan has been trying to perfect this for many years, but he is in Poland, and
it has been a hobby for him, He is a nice man and tries very hard, but the
ever changing information business is very difficult to keep up with. Especially
when you are selling printed directories that are  outdated by the time they
come off the press.   I would reccomend using his online service before buying
the directories in hardcopy or doing the mass email campaign he offers which I
don't think would be very effective for most OKOM bands.  The last time I
spoke with him he did not have a Disc copy of the directories available.   If he
did and it was in an editable format I would buy it so I could make the
changes and use it, however my own booking data base is far bigger and expansive
than his now so I don't really need his.

Getting the information is very time consuming and hard work, but if you
don't really know what to do with it when you get it you are wasting your time.
You still have to be VERY GOOD package your self and present yourself in such
a manner that you stand out above  thousands of others who want to do the same
thing, and then move in on the festivals sell and close the dates.  That's
the Hardest part until they have made up their mind that they really want your
show.

Some of his stuff is good and some of it is useless as in all directories, I
would not take much stock in his offer for sending out plain text emails to
these festivals, they generally end up in the spam files.  His information
averages a 30-40% ERROR RATE and often is not corrected and updated for several
years which is very frustrating when you try to use it.

A couple of years ago I checked my own information in his database and
discovered that it had not been updated in five years even though I was buying all
of his directories annually.

Make no mistake about it.  Creating and maintaining a large data base is very
time consuming and costly and when you hire others to do the data input and
they make errors it is very bad because you do not know they made the errors
and print the books anyway.

I think the online databases work much better and can be changed quickly for
updates and deletions when festivals and events change or go out of business,
which they do every year all over the world.

In 2005 I expect to make available a new marketing service for Bands using my
data base of Festivals, Events, Concert, Promoters, Jazz publications and
Media reviewers, Radio Stations that will actually play your music, and Clubs
worldwide, over 3000 colleges in the USA that have concerts all year long.  I do
have a financial interest in it ( A VERY LARGE ONE) I paid for it and hand
built it.

I have been putting this data base together and double checking it monthly
for three years, and will soon be able to break down a booking strategy for
almost any region or State in the USA and customize it for any Band of any genre
of Jazz.  I can tell by the venues and event how much money you can expect to
charge and get from them as well.

That however does not mean that they will necessarily book your band.  They
have to like what they read see and hear, and you have to understand that on an
average all the major Jazz Festivals get about 1,500 submissions for every
year's festival to narrow down to who they actually hire and pay.

As is mentioned on this list by me and Steve and most recently Jon from
Dallas, you gotta get up and work every day at your day gig which is to book your
night gigs or Vice versa if you want to play only day gigs.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins