[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Texas / CD sales

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 13 20:48:49 PDT 2004

Steve and others--
     Yes, i agree, this is a very positive aspect of dixieland here in
the hinterlands.
     Last (um, let's see) May, i drove up to Dallas (not for the faint
of heart) to PLANO to attend the Tommy Loy tribute-concert at the
Bavarian Grill in Plano.
     I found the food (German, of course) to be very good and
authentic, the wait-staff to be both knowledgeable and friendly (hey,
it's Texas), and the musicians to be expert and professional.  Jon
Stutler and his band are just simply great folks and great musicians.
(And of course how could one get better than Tommy Loy, even in
absentia?  He and his spirit were all around us, we could feel it.)
     Mr. Bob Romans (long may his and his band's flag wave) also was
there (by dint of a long flight from the Left Coast), and i supped
with him (now, no jokes) and traded confidences about dixieland and
the venue (not that i had any to impart).  Mr. Romans, long of our
ilk, is a marvelous human being, as well as having a magical ability
to coax his trumpet (formerly, Tommy Loy's trumpet)(or any trumpet,
for that matter) to play melody.  This is not as easy as it sounds,
for those of you enamoured (to use the British spelling) of 'rap'
music (an obvious oxymoron, since to be music sound must have melody,
and rap has no melody).  Mr. Romans hides his brilliance under the
seemingly pedestrian recounting of the main tune, but this is no easy
selection of notes, as it is a difficult line to tread between the
iconographic reproduction of the notes that are written and one's
interpretation of the same notes but with a more timely and personal
flair.  Bob simply plays it right. (What else can you say?)
     We had a grand time playing along with Jon Stutler's band (me on
tuba in the third set, sitting on a Bavarian picnic-table seat half a
beer-loud foot from paying customers), and the audience was both
understanding and appreciative (yeah, they were drunk too).
     I didn't know his band did that many gigs, and as a new member of
the board of the Austin Traditional Jazz Society i am going to try to
entice him and his band down to Austin for one of our concerts.  We
have nowhere to go but up, and the thought of a continuum of
dixieland between Dallas and San Antonio (Razzmajazz to Temple/Waco
to Austin to Jim Cullum), with so many wonderful musicians and
musical styles in between, generates visions of traditional jazz in
central Texas that echoes back to Jack Teagarden's days. (Can you say
"hubba-hubba"?)
     Believe me--and i've lived in central Texas for 30 years--Texans
LOVE their music, and all we've got to do (dixieland-wise) is make it
available, and they'll gather 'round.
     It won't do any good (because the relevant musicians won't read
this message), but i'd love to go downtown to Waterloo Park (and
other places) in downtown Austin and play dixieland for free at noon
(or whenever) every day, just to build an awareness of the style and
the gladness of it, and maybe get some gigs out of it.  (Did you
know, by the way, that Brother Elazar Brant, of Jerusalem fame, used
to live and play in Austin?) But it takes more than one tuba-picker
to do it, and as of now, i don't know of any other musicians who can
or want to do this.
     So here we are.  So (as Kurt Vonnegut's characters used to say)
it goes. (Sigh. Back down to earth....)

     Dan