[Dixielandjazz] Re: Copyright

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 10 02:04:26 PDT 2004

ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu asks:

> > Do ASCAP/BMI etc. employ actual
> > musician-types, who can read chords, understand melodies and their
> > variations, etc.?
>> HOW does one tell, in point of fact, that one tune is
> sufficiently similar to another to invoke a copyright-infringement?

(Snip)

I can't remember the details but, I have heard that there are attorneys that
specialize in copyright litagation.

They will go to court & on a drawing board or black board, they lay out the
notes of the original song & the notes of the song which is being accused of
copyright infringement & point out the simularities.

Whether they use actual musical notes, or some sort of graph so that perhaps
the judge can understand, I don't know.

Of course the attournies on the opposite side do the same thing to prove
their side.

I heard a lot more about this subject years ago but can't really remember
the details.

--Bob
robert at ringwald.com
London