[Dixielandjazz] Copyrights - Copywrongs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 13:02:31 PDT 2004

Sometimes it is the "arrangement" that is copyrighted also. For example,
on one of our CDs, the replicator insisted that I license "Route 66"
because it was copyrighted. So I went to the licensing agent and
received a list of many different versions. I picked the Bobby Troup
version and was informed that it was not available for licensing. So I
picked another one and licensed it rather than search for another
replicator who might not be so picky about licensing.

Many of us here in the Eastern USA have CDs replicated in Canada to
avoid licensing, copyright problems. I amy just do that the next time.

So much confusion lurks in the current system that MANY song writers
used the same set of chords and wrote different melodies over them. EG
52 songs with Bill Bailey Changes, or "Someday You'll Be Sorry" which is
"Whispering" changes etc., etc.

But that too, is technically a copyright violation for anything written
after 1923. Even so, the be-boppers did it constantly, but used a few
chord substitutions to further confuse the issue.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone