[Dixielandjazz] BeBop Banjos was straight ahead banjos

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 06:44:13 PDT 2004

>"Mike Marois" <Mike.Marois at HireLiveMusic.com> wrote
>
>Hey All;
>
>Bella Fleck and the Flecktones come to mind.  They straight ahead and
>beyond.

To which I would add that banjoist Steven Debonaventura in Media PA will
play bebop on banjo if asked. He is a virtuoso player who does songs
like Charlie Parker's "Confirmation" in swinging up tempo format., as
well as the usual Dixieland book of 500 tunes or so. And if you bring
the music, he'll sight read anything you want from Mahler to Monk.

All you banjo pickers out there might ask him to do so at the next banjo
convention.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone