[Dixielandjazz] Mainstream Festivals the answer?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 8 10:11:42 PDT 2004

I don't think anyone ever said that mainstream festivals were the answer
to anything. Nor be bop festivals, nor smooth jazz festivals and
certainly not Dixieland festivals.

Just about ALL MUSIC FESTIVALS are finding it difficult these days. That
has been the thrust of countless articles, discussions, information
sharing etc., throughout the music world, as well as on the DJML.

And that is why MANY MUSIC FESTIVALS are broadening their stylistic
offerings. It is why the funky German opera producers are putting sex
and violence into operatic presentations, it is why smooth jazz
festivals will welcome a Dixieland band or two, as will a mainstream
festival, as will an avant garde jazz festival. It is also why some OKOM
festivals now gravitate towards offering other styles as well.

Live music, including rock concerts, has been experiencing a declining
audience base. Perhaps because there is less disposable income (in the
USA) or because "entertainment" is changing? And hopefully we all
realize by now that music is entertainment as well as art. Always has
been, always will be. Generally, we all need MORE AUDIENCE.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone