[Dixielandjazz] Vale Fred Parkes

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 7 08:55:46 PDT 2004

Sad to report that one of our best clarinet players of OKOM here in Melbourne died today.  He was Fred Parkes (73).  A smoker to the end, but it was a staph. infection that got into his heart that got him.  He played delightful, creative, "by the seat of his pants" clarinet, that often left listeners breathless with wonder.  We have lots of great recordings to remember him by, but we've lost a real character, a "one off" who made the musicians around him think a little harder about what they were doing.
Best wishes to all.
Sam Meerkin