[Dixielandjazz] Copyright

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 09:05:14 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/6/04 8:11:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mjl at ix.netcom.com
writes:

> Back when I asked about this, the only real answer that resulted was "if
> it's been recorded, simply consider it copyrighted."
>
> There's a fairly informative copyright info page someone posted back
> than that indicated that federal law and trial lawyers conspire to keep
> the issue murkier than ever,
> --
> Etc

Your absolutely correct Mike:

The last revised issue of the Copyright laws I had was 750 pages of fine
print that nobody could understand even in a court room full of lawyers and
judges, from RIAA,  ASAP and BMI.  They eventually threw out the copyright
infringement charges and charged the defendants with Grand Theft Larceny and convicted
them in thirty minutes.

My suggestion is simple and from the book of REALITY Chapter One.

Keep it Simple, Put the circle c copyright notice on the copies, go mail them
to yourself by registered mail, record a copy of them and do the same thing
with it.  Put em back in the closet and forget about them.  In the event ANYONE
ever hears about them and wants to use them simply go to the closet and get
them, run down to Kinko's and print them a copy and collect whatever you and
the person is willing to agree that they are worth, and if you have enough of
them you will make more money on that one sale than it will cost you to register
them with the US Copyright office anyway.  Better to use the money to buy
yourself a beer than to buy one for the guy in the copyright office.  Unless of
course your expecting to get a windfall of royalties form ASCAP and BMI.  :))

P.S.  Better sell about four sets anyway to cover the cost of the Registered
mail first.

As for me and the file cabinets full of them I have I find it more profitable
and far less frustrating to just go by a six pack once a year and sit and
drink it while flipping through the file cabinet saying to myself, SELF someday
you could be rich with all these, :)  Yeah right.

A Mind is a Terrible thing to Waste,  you have a good one,

Do a search and find a book called "Just For the Record" By Shad O'Shay who
is out of Cincinnati Ohio, I think his publishing company name is Counterpoint
Creative Publishing or something like that.  Also has a Recording studio there
named Counterpoint Studios if I recall right.  He made much more money on
selling that great 700 page book of expose on the Copyright office, BMI & ASAP
than he ever made on his songs and recordings.

Funny reading too, at least he learned to laugh about what a laughing matter
they all are and just another scam to rip off the unsuspecting songwriter.

All those lawyers who murky the issues of copyright are paid for with the
monies collected by BMI & ASAP & RIAA just to protect their own Mafia system of
extortion.  They keep revising the laws so the owners can't prove that they
actually own any rights at all and so they can go into courts and prove that they
own them and you have to prove that they don't and most artists and
songwriters stop after the first hundred bucks a letter they pay for from their
attorney to the.

Buy the Beer and enjoy your retirement amigo.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Been there and been had that way too.  :)