[Dixielandjazz] Re: Any tune can be a dixieland tune (was Letter on Sacramento Jubilee)

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Aug 6 08:24:43 PDT 2004

Considering the fact that the TUNE for the Star Spangled Banner was a
English drinking song (“To Anacreon in Heaven” a tongue-twister that
was sung quickly as a gauge of how drunk you might be) there should be
no reason not to jazz it up.

Other than the screams of outrage that would probably result ;-)

> John Stafford Smith, to whom the tune was attributed, was an important
> English music historian, as well as a singer, organist and composer of
> glees. Smith's melody originated as To Anacreon in Heav'n, sung at
> each fortnightly meeting of London's Anacreontic Society, a club of
> wealthy amateur musicians founded in 1766. Anacreon (c. 563-478 B.C.)
> had been a classical Greek poet who wrote of love and wine:  Ralph
> Tomlinson's six verses to Smith's ode each end with
>  "...[en-] twine /
>  the myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine."
> Full lyrics are here: http://www.ingeb.org/songs/toanacre.html
>  Smith's tune was popular in the American colonies: Robert Treat Paine
> wrote Revolutionary words to it, Adams and Liberty. Franz Joseph Haydn
> visited the Anacreontic Society in 1791. The club disbanded in 1794
> when members resigned in protest after their president forbade the
> performance of certain comic songs that might offend the visiting
> Duchess of Devonshire.

BTW, I was at a local concert in the park last night to hear a
bluegrass band called The Palmer Sisters (none of the band are women)
and there are a lot of traditional and new bluegrass songs they that
would easily be played in OKOM style...

Dave Richoux