[Dixielandjazz] Jazz People in Action

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 22:08:50 PDT 2004

I don't know how many of you on the DJML list get the jazz advocate
newsletter, but here is an exerpt from it today that shows what can and does happen
when you constantly promote jazz of All kinds.  The letter to the editor says it
all.

Congratulations Ron, Don and Rosemary for an obvious job well done.   If they
can do it in Dayton, Ohio, others can do it where they live as well.

Don't however sit around and wait for a Ron and Rosemary to volunteer in your
area go start it and help them get it going and stay invovlved and promote
yourselves and other jazz shamelessly and soon you will get it back to where it
used to be in your area of the world.
Go get em.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Musical content:  If we all work together, together,  how happy we'll be!

Letter to the Editor from Tim Berens: timb at erinet.com

Ron: I am writing to express my thanks to yourself, Rosemary and Don Henke
for all the amazing work you have done to promote jazz in Dayton.  I hear the
same story over and over from musicians who live in other cities -- jazz gigs
are drying up...people aren't interested in jazz...there is no work for jazz
musicians...doom and gloom.  And then I read Don's column this week and it is
bursting at the seams with jazz happening in, of all places, Dayton, Ohio!  It is
no coincidence that jazz in Dayton has blossomed in the years since you and
Don have been advocating and promoting jazz with such passion.  I think the
boom in jazz in Dayton is due more to the work done by the local
Jazz Advocates than to any other person.  I hope that every jazz musician in
the area stops to take the time to shake your hand and Don's hand to say
thanks for everything that you have done to promote jazz.  Without an audience,
musicians will not have a place to play.  Without constant promotion, there will
be no audience.  All the great work that you, Rosemary and Don do is
invaluable toward getting the audience to attend jazz events.  I thank you from the
bottom of my heart for all the energy you put into promoting jazz.  Tim Berens