[Dixielandjazz] Re: Letter on Sacramento Jubilee

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Thu Aug 5 16:14:56 PDT 2004

Cash said:
>he probably thinks there are only ten or twenty >Dixieland songs ever
written.

There are a lot of 'dixieland' tunes.  Just about any tune except Ave Maria
or the Star Spangled Banner can be a dixieland tune; but I can understand
how one could come to the conclusion there are only a few.
      In the concern to "play something we all know" comes the exclusion of
the less played tunes.  consequently, they stick to playing the same few
tunes over and over.  Never mind that the last band just played them.
      Mainstreamers are guilty of this as well.  I remember when "How high
the Moon" was played to death till they all got sick of it.....now its
rarely heard.  The Girl From Impanema has also been played to almost
exhaustion.
      There is a notion among working musicians that they
don't have to practice because they work 3 or more nights a week.  So if
you're going to learn new tunes, you have to do it on the gig.  This is fine
as long as you're able and not afraid to do it.  Then there's disagreement
on the selection of tune, the key, the tempo, etc; and you've used up at
least 5 minutes just talking about it.
        Whatever is keeping your band from learning new tunes....get over it
and past it, or your audience will get over and get past you.  Our band gets
together once a week for 2 hours just to learn new tunes and keep our chops
up.  Some tunes stay in the repertoire, some do not.  Sometimes you run into
a really good one.
Pat Cooke