[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Society Marketing Consultant

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 11:15:48 PDT 2004

ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Folks--
>    What do you think about a jazz-society hiring a
> marketing-consultant to help promote its concerts?

Would be the best thing they ever did IF they got one who had experience in
the promotion and marketing of the Entertainment industry.  An MBA in Marketing
does not make them instantly qualified.   The Entertainment and Promotion
indstry is very complicated not to mention competitive, and not an easy industry
to maneuver around successfully for the weak at heart.

  Is this a good > idea?

  Yes, it is a good idea but most will not do it because they prefer to have
a small network
> of friends and associates to volunteer to do their festivals and events and
> operate them like small private social clubs which most of them are.  They
> also usually always think in the not for Profit terms and actually think that
> means they should not or should not be expected to make a profit.

 How much should it cost?

 Well, because I am semi-retired,  I charge about $500.00 per day +
reasonable expenses, Vs a negotiated percentage of the events net profit.  Depending
upon the organization and the size of the event and it's potential.  One the
size of The Sacramento Jazz Jubilee would be in the neighborhood of $40,000.000
to $60,000.000 all inclusive.

>    Would the American Federation of Jazz Societies have information
> or opinions about this?

Since their name was brought up recently several of us have been trying to
contact them and get information to no avail so far, seems their website is not
showing any current activity.

 If not, who would?    Well I thought you'd never ask?  :))

 A certain International Promoter, Booking Agent for over 40 years who is a
member of this list might know.  The last time he took an assignment like this
was 1990 for the Italian Government & Tourism Department.
They entrusted him with entertaining the tourist all over Italy for the
International Soccer World Cup playoffs.  They also supplied a substantial budget
and remuneration for doing it.

>    Surely each jazz-society is not an island entire unto itself,
> reinventing the wheel each time in every town?

I am not so sure about that one Dan, they do seem to just do their own thing
and pretty much the same way as the others do it, sort of been a learn as you
go situation for many of them I am sure.

 But what do you do if > nobody in the management of the society has
> experience or expertise in this?

I would recommend inviting folks who do have experience to their Summer Jazz
camps, etc., and hold seminars and discussion groups to actually teach their
society members how to do many of the things that need to be done to operate
these societies and events.

> That's my $.02 cents worth.

I am not cheap but I can be had :)

Cheers,