[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong's Grandson?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 15:22:40 PDT 2004

Mark Bauer wrote that the book "Louis Armstrong - In his own words"
contains a letter to Joe Glaser, referencing a son.

Yes indeed it does. The letter was written on August 2, 1955, from Las
Vegas and among the bills he wants Glaser to pay while he is touring
abroad is:

"I want you to see that Sweets + Baby get $100 per week." (page 161)

The notes in the chapter indicate that:

"Armstrong needs Glaser to take care of payments to . . . a mistress
(the name has been deleted from this edition) who, he thinks, has borne
him a child."

Armstrong's additional quote from the letter states the following X
RATED so delete now if sensitive to the written words that Louis used in
his speech and his writings every day.

"When two people are in a room by themselves, kissing will lead to
fucking every time. Of course sweets and I didn't swing but once in
Montreal. Sort of warm up. Once in Toronto, Minneapolis etc. - But where
we really whaled and that cute baby girl was made was in Las Vegas . . .
every night we whaled. I mean really grind in that cunt. I could feel
it. I could feel it just as good when I struck oil - and planted that
cute baby. Oh Mr. Glaser, you + Dr. Schiff have got to see that baby."

My own opinion is that Lucille Armstrong knew, but thought that the
child was not by Louis Armstrong.

If the baby was indeed his daughter, born around 1955, he could indeed
have a grandchild now in his/her 20s or 30s

Cheers,
Steve Barbone