[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in the Garden

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 2 00:08:42 PDT 2004

Hi Steve and All,

We are not that far behind the times in the UK.

This sort of thing has been going on for years. Many country houses with
large estates have been presenting Classical orchestral performances, Songs
from the Shows, Glen Miller evenings, always very popular, Jazz evenings
Chris Barber, Acker Bilk, Kenny Ball usually on the same show together, etc.

The usual format is a `portable` stage set up and everyone brings their own
food and sits through the long summer evenings listening. We even put one on
in my garden once. Only one band though, and they were all my mates. Often
the customers go to great lengths to smarten things up with silver
candelabra, silver buckets for the champers and coolie bags for the foi
gras. One has ones standards after all. Some bring folding chairs and
tables, some lounge gracefully , or not, on a groundsheet.
There are of course foreigners of the lower class who have hamburgers and
hot dogs with Coca Cola but one must make allowances.

Cheers chaps, and chapesses

Pat  (adjusting monocle)

---