[Dixielandjazz] Jubilee issues

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Wed Apr 28 11:47:23 PDT 2004

To me, the topic of "eliminating drink tickets" is a non-issue.
Those tickets are for public food and beverage vendors.
Jubilee has hospitality suites for musicians and their companions,
so therefore is not denying musicians their booze if they want it.

I'm sorry that Dave's band had a negative experience (20 years ago!) and I
know that my dear friend and experienced promoter, Mr. Wiggins, has a
plethora of ideas that would save Jubilee tons of money and improve the
overall quality (he's personally shared with me more great ideas than I can
possibly keep track of) ... However, before I hear any more harsh criticisms
from anyone else about the Jubilee, I'd just like to say a few things.

First, it's easy to find fault with anything or anyone. If you choose to
look in the garbage can, you will find -- guess what! -- garbage.
Second, here are some wise words I heard many years ago:
"Complain to the person who can do something about it."
Lastly, criticism -- if constructive -- is good for growth and improvement.
If there's a complaint, please offer a better idea or possible solution. I
like the ideas that Allan and Steve suggested (have the profiting venues
offer one drink per set or welcome the fans to buy musicians a drink).

Certainly, there is more good than bad with the Jubilee -- hey, people love
it! . Yes, there has been a crisis, but despite several months of stress and
dismay, I've seen the STJS Board (and Roger, and all those involved) hold
strong and pull through in a big way. The going got tough, and the tough got
going. If I were a doc, I'd be very pleased with the patient's recovery and
prognosis. There HAS been a shift, and there IS forward thinking. No, it's
not perfect and probably won't ever be. Still, we can improve on things with
the help of creative people who offer valid suggestions in a constructive
way, directed toward the people "who can do something about it."

I'm going to have a great time. Hope to see you all at Jubilee or the F2F.

Love and hugs,
Nancy