[Dixielandjazz] RE; The F2F at French Quarter Festival

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Wed Apr 21 18:27:17 PDT 2004

DJML FTF?   Sorry it did not happen and sorry to miss the listmates, I was
very busy both plyaing and listening and the time just flew by.   With some
400,000 people milling around I guess it is not easy to arrange a FTF!    I
enjoyed meeting Tom Wiggins after my Bourbon Street set and I support what
he says about the FQ FEST event - everything one could wish for - every type
of jazz and near-jazz and non-jazz one could wish for, though one needs to
use up some shoe leather to catch everything and careful pacing is needed.
I heard a string quartet playing classical at Le Petit Theatre, also a
harpist, also little Amanda Shaw, aged 13, playing hot fiddle in a
Cajan/rock band.   An amazing troupe of acrobats from Trinidad (via New
York) and the usual numerous street performers, who are sometimes better
than the guys on stage!

I am back home now after two days and my toe blisters are healing nicely!

Toronto paraded its Magnolia Brass Band for the very first time in the
Friday morning parade and this was a big thrill for us all - we had some
international help, to make up the required 11 pieces but everyone knew
their correct role and it was a success.

Lots of highlights - Banu Gibson's band swinging like the clappers with a
strong thirties feel;
Many good bands on the Bourbon and Royal street stages - noticed several
muso's appearing in two or more bands.
Andrew Hall's Society Brass Band in concert at the brass band stage gave me
the most pleasure.  A wonderful line-up and playing tunes like "Garland of
Flowers"  from the old Eureka Brass Band repertoire.  When they played the
hymn "Abide with Me" I was looking for my life-belt!   All reading from the
dots but truly a lovely sound.

Many, many visiting bands playing in Fritzel's bar on Bourbon Street,
including two French, Three Swedish, two Canadian, Denmark, Australia etc.
Quite a party!

Cheers,
Brian Towers
(Back in Toronto to unwind!)