[Dixielandjazz] Adieu, Mike Carrell

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Apr 21 20:54:20 PDT 2004

I'm so sad to hear the news of Mike's passing. A long time ago he and I
played together on the Goldenrod showboat during the now defunct St. Louis
ragfest. It was our first pairing (we had never met prior to that gig) and
the thing which struck me most about him was his ability to quickly
assimilate the changes of a tune he had never heard before, by the time the
second chorus came around he was playing it - and soloing too - as if he had
known the number all his life.

I had lots of fun trying to catch him out with little-known stuff but never
did.

Rest in peace Mike - you were such a nice guy, a brilliant musician and an
amiable companion, I shall never forget you.

John Farrell