[Dixielandjazz] Madison

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:06:02 PDT 2004

Well, neither, actually.  I've always thought it more than a little silly,
but it's something of a tradition in certain trad jazz circles (at least in
the American midwest) to unfurl parasols and march around in the room to the
music, in the spirit of New Orleans Mardi Gras revelers of old, I guess.
There were probably a dozen parasol flourishers at the Madison event; that's
not a large number out of the two or three hundred attendees, but I don't
recall ever seeing that many people participate anywhere else.  In fact, if
I remember right, in Madison there was even a parasol decorating contest
last year.

Ed Danielson