[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ellington & Mood Indigo

Craig Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 16 08:49:30 PDT 2004

Bill,
Thanks for the comprehensive comments.
I appreciate this. If the long discographic
discussion is objectionable to anyone, then
they can treat it the same way I do the
discussions on identification badges -
I use the delete key.This kind of discussion
in this case led me to listening to a version
of Mood Indigo which is more appropriate
for transcription to a small group than the
more standard, more ornate larger group
styled version.And my side travels on this
exercise led me to other information which
will help me build a better band repertoire.
Whether it was ever called Dreamy Blues is
somewhat irrelevant to me, but the evolution
in style is of great interest.

It will be interesting if I
can get Kay to give me any further comments
regarding Schuller's reaction to the apparent
nonexistance of the version he seeks.
I too found that other Oct 14th date in
a discography last night but didn't bring it
up. Thanks for adding it and commenting.
Regards,
Craig