[Dixielandjazz] Hey There

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Apr 13 09:51:37 PDT 2004

Steve,

I have a couple of tips about getting a band going with "younger"
musicians - I was in a group called Churchill Street Jazz Band that was
formed with mostly high school age (15-18 year old) student musicians
plus a few more experienced, older musicians. It does help to have a
"coach" who knows the songs and history of early jazz, but you can do
it on your own - it might just take a bit longer.

Another place to look for inspiration is the current scene in New
Orleans Brass Bands - there are hundreds of young musicians taking
elements of old and new music styles and creating their own tradition
(and not just in New Orleans - there are bands all over the USA doing
this.) Exploring this path will take you a bit further away from what
this list calls OKOM, but it may be a way to attract other musicians in
your area who may favor Rock, R & B, or Soul over an "unknown" jazz
style.

Good Luck!

Dave Richoux