[Dixielandjazz] None

Steve McCann scuba__steve70 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:38:37 PDT 2004

Elzar, and list

Its is my firm belief from personal experience that it is exposure. I have
my music friends, and my school friends. The music ones love jazz, and are
eager to give it a try, while the school ones, if asked, would probably say
"Isnt it that c**p that my grandfather used to listen to".. Sadly the school
friends outnumber the music ones by far.

   BUT, I invited some school friends along to a Dixieland Jazz band gig,
the other night. And they were all absolutly wowed by the improv, the scat
vocals, and basically the amazing sound that the players could achieve. And
it was only yesterday when I was over at the house of one of the rock
guitarists that attended. I picked up something on his desk, and underneath
it was a brand new "Jazz for Guitar" book. lol.

  From this and other small happenings, I really think they need to see it
live and in their face. Recordings are great for those who can instantly
appreciate the sound, but alot of these people had never seen a clarinet. I
think hearing a talented dixieland band live is a good step towards boosting
interest.

Steve