[Dixielandjazz] Re: Limericks / Lymrics

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 19:01:29 PDT 2004

> Dan Spink DWSI at aol.com wrote
>
> I hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about. In college, and a few
> times since, we did what we called lymrics to the melody of a Mexican type
> song that began, Aye, yie yie ya, Chinamen never eat chili, now this is a verse
> that's worse than the first, so waltz me around again, Willie.
>
> The only one I can find now is:
> There once was a lady from Cape Cod
> Who thought that all babies came from God
> But it wasn't the almighty who lifted her nightie
> It was Roger the lodger, by God!
>
> Does anyone know any more of these? They're for some special entertaining. I
> would be forever grateful.

Dan & List mates:

For the definitive book on Limericks (1700 of them) try and get a copy of:

"The Limerick"

Edited by G. Legman
Bell Publishing Co., New York
Copyright MCMLXIV and MCMLXIX

Library of Congress # 74-78758

Bell is/was  a division of Crown Press, by arrangement of Brandywine Press.

Everything in there from "The Mucker Named Tucker" to "Nymphomaniacal Alice" (The
Dynamite Stick), including one about Elizabeth Barret doing something with a Carrot
in a Garret. The gist of the book, which has 18 categories of limericks from which
to chose is:

The limerick form is complex
Its contents run chiefly to sex
It burgeons with virgeons
And masculine urgeons
And swarms with erotic effex.

Most, (not like the above) are "X" rated. Needless to say, it is quite a book and
not for the faint of heart.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If you can't find the book, write me off list with you preferred category and
I'll send you some.