[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Festival - Modesto, CA

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 7 22:40:44 PDT 2004

Hi Margaret:

Oops, I stand corrected. If in fact, the promoter did not tell you folks he was
having a festival in your town, you can hardly be blamed for not being there.

And as a mea culpa, while I knew there might be a jazz club in Modesto, it is
not on my radar screen, as I suppose the 3 jazz clubs I belong to here are not
on yours.

One way or the other, either through shabby promotion, or folks in Modesto not
supporting a local festival, the event was a bust. Me? I would have telephoned
Charlie Clark till I got the info I needed. Especially since the club did hear
about it someway in advance.

A festival in town is certainly better than a six hour drive round trip to
Three Rivers as I see it.

Brings up another point. About the Victoria Festival going down last year. And
why not? It was scheduled on the same weekend as the Port Angeles Festival,
across the Straits of Juan Del Fuca (Spelling?) in the USA. Sept 11 two years
earlier and the Gulf War took the blame for US folks declining to travel to
Victoria BC. Hmmm, why would Americans fans take that long, expensive boat ride
when you could go to a festival in Port Angeles, which is on the way to
Victoria, saving both time and money?

We need to quit scheduling festivals close by on the same weekends.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone