[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Festival - Modesto, CA

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 7 16:47:17 PDT 2004

Just heard that last weekend's one day OKOM festival in Modesto had
about 70 paying attendees. And there were 7, count em, 7 bands. One was
10th Avenue Jazz Band, the sponsoring group. Ed Zimbrick must have lost
a pot full of money on it. Bob Roman's Cell Block Seven was also there,
I believe so the music was not too shabby.

Folks, pure and simple, if we do not support live OKOM by paying for it
when it comes to our town, how can we expect it to continue?

There is an OKOM jazz club in Modesto, but I would guess given the
above, that it is not very active in supporting itinerant OKOM
musicians.

As US Supreme Court Judge Oliver Wendell Holmes said in January 1917
when deciding the case for licensing music and overturning all the
previous lower court decisions: (Smart man, that Holmes)

"The performances... are part of a total for which the public pays....
If music did not pay, it would be given up. If it pays, it pays out of
the public's pocket.... The purpose of employing it is for profit, and
that is enough."

It appears as if the public does not give a rat's patoot about live OKOM
in Modesto.

Sadly ,
Steve Barbone