[Dixielandjazz] Ray Noble with Al Bowlly

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Tue Apr 6 00:56:46 PDT 2004

Dear Len,
Ray Noble was the house band of His Master's Voice in Britain before WW II.
He came to the USA in 1934 but the American Federation of Musicians would
not allow him to bring anyone more than Al Bowlly, and his drummer manager,
Bill Harty. He played in the Rainbow Room in New York City with a band
assembled by Glenn Miller that had some of the best US jazzmen in
it --Claude Thorinhill, Pee Wee Irwin, Bud Freeman, Will Bradley,  Johnny
Mince, and others. If this was the band you mean, it could certainly
swing..Ray stayed  in America, as you say, but Al Bowlly went back to the UK
and was killed in a London air raid in 1941. There is more about this in my
book, "Jazz and Death. Medical Profiles of Jazz Greats" (University Press of
Mississippi, 2002). Regards.
Fred