[Dixielandjazz] Making Runs/ Storyville Blues

Paigevan at cs.com Paigevan at cs.com
Sun Apr 4 06:03:00 PDT 2004

Don't know if either of these got resolved as I'm pretty far behind in
reading digests due to pressures from doing tax returns and working on JazzBeat, my
magazine.
The tune referred to as Making Runs is most likely actually Happy Sammy, a
tune written about 1906 by F. C. Schmitt. Bunk referred to a tune he played with
Bolden called Sammy Sampson which is probably the same tune.
Doc Evans recorded the tune on Audiophile AP-56 (also Concert-Disc 48) as
King Bolden on Parade. He published a chart based on his recording which is
available from www.docevans.com. We will be reissuing this session on Jazzology in
the very near future.
Storyville Blues (the Bunk number) is actually Those Draftin' Blues, a 1917
composition by Maceo Pinkard. It dealt with the World War I draft and  was
revived by Count Basie in 1940 as Draftin' Blues, with a Jimmy Rushing vocal.
Pinkard went on to write standards like Sweet Georgia Brown and Liza. Bunk
attributed the song to W. C. Handy. Handy played the song but did not write it.
Paige VanVorst