[Dixielandjazz] PROMOTING THE ARTS (AND OKOM)

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 2 00:04:21 PST 2004

> It is distressing to hear of OKOM Festivals folding, and/or cutting
> back. To hear folks say we can't get an audience, etc

You folks in the USA can always come over to England to one of my festivals.
Pakefield last month had numbers up on last year. Next one - The Louis
Armstrong Celebration Festival  in September, at Bracklesham Bay on the
south coast is already 75% sold.

How do we do it.? A 12,000 database of jazz fans sorted by post code areas,
who are direct mailed with a good quality colour brochure. Top musicians
(note, mainly musicians and not many 'bands', except at Pakrfield), musical
styles strictly limited to Ragtime, New Orleans, classic jazz, Dixieland,
swing, mainstream and the American Songbook, themed shows and value for
money.  No Be Bop, hip hop, cool, funk, jazz rock or other bastardisation of
the music.

I have now taken over promoting the Pakefield event, and that festival like
all my other promotions will be non smoking - just like the whole of
Ireland. Also we keep the pa to a minimum, so people can hear the music and
not the electronics. Finally, promoting these and other shows is a full time
occupation, allowing for a few gigs here and there.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com