[Dixielandjazz] Re: Black & Blue was Blues

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 14:10:45 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/30/03 9:30:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jbeebe at centurytel.net writes:

> I don't know about Louis 'fooling most of the world'  with his  rendition of
> 'Black  &Blue"  Fats Waller also did it as a put-on humorous song.  Franz
> Jackson does it this way.
>
> Jim Beebe

As is the case with many Blues songs as well as country songs they tell
stories, that are set to music that many diverse people can relate to during
different emotional periods of their passing time.   The lyrics to Black & Blue are
adaptable to more than one  potential situation, and therefore the tune was
used and presented by different artists to address their particular message of
interpreting the song.

It is also one of those very good songs that has a melody that touches the
hearts and emotions of many people  Red and Yellow Black and White, perhaps
Louis just liked the song and wanted to play it, or maybe he played it when he was
in a Blue mood.

That's when I play it, not in a parade or at a wedding party, many songs have
a time and a place to be played for their best impact on the listeners and
the players, knowing when and where to play them helps a player become popular
and more successful for having touched someone with a particular song at the
right time.

I would tend to believe that the actual meaning of the song and intention is
in the original writer's head, as many of the Blues writers wrote from
personal life experiences, and just like many songs have been selected for subliminal
messages in advertising, so too have they been chosen to address another
usage in the mind of the latest artist recording it.

If Bonnie Raait sang it she might be singing about her husband beating her up
and leaving her so Black & Blue.

Cheers,

Tom (I got da good time jump  Blues) Wiggins