[Dixielandjazz] Lu Watters footage

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Mon Sep 29 05:55:11 PDT 2003

Tony Basile Basilejazz at aol.com writes:

> Does anyone know if the Watter's Yerba Buena Jazz Band was ever filmed in
> action?  The big group was done around 1950 or so if I recall correctly so
> doubt that there would be any TV footage, but it never hurts to ask....and
this
> would be the place.

The YBJB was in action from about 1939 to about 1951 or '52.  I have never
heard of any film footage of them.

I know that in the early 50s, there was a TV show on KPIX in SF titled "
Clancy's Corner."  It featured Clancy Hayes with the Bob Scobey band.  I
used to watch that show as a kid & have since seen footage of that show.

A few years ago there was a film collector at the Los
Angeles Sweet & Hot Music Festival who had footage of the Scobey band.  I
can't remember if it was the SF or Chicago band.  He had a lot of rare
footage of Jazz musicians.  I can't remember his name.

If you wish, I'll see if I can track him down.

I'll also send this to Dottie Lawless who, along with her husband Dr. Ed
Lawless, was close friends with Lu Watters.

Dottie has been a member of DJML but I don't believe she is subscribed at
this time.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA