[Dixielandjazz] Willie McTell

glen page gpage at direct.ca
Mon Sep 29 00:10:47 PDT 2003

I would like to see the information regarding McTell also being called Barbeque Bob verified.

Robert Hicks, alias Barbeque Bob, was active in Atlanta in the late 20s and 1930/31 McTell certainly recorded under a number of pseudonyms but I have never heard of him using this one. Hicks was working in Atlanta from 1923 until 1931, Tidwell's Barbeque Place being one place.

Are there any bona  fida blues authorities out there who would like to comment on this? I bet Bill Haesler knows.
Cheers, Glen.