[Dixielandjazz] THE BLUES - Part 1

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Sep 28 22:20:18 PDT 2003

Just watched the first of the seven part series on "The Blues".  I enjoyed
the first part that dealt with the history of the blues in Mississippi and
parts of the South.  However, when they tried to make the connection to
music in Mali, Western Africa, I could NOT hear the connection.  It all
sounded more Middle Eastern.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX

Sept. 28: "Feel Like Going Home," directed by Scorsese
and written by Peter Guralnik, pays homage to the Delta blues though rare
archival footage of Son House, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker and new
performances by Willie King, Taj Mahal, Otha Turner and Ali Farka Toure.
Bluesman Corey Harris travels through Mississippi and West Africa, where he
explores the roots of the music.